Preserving Sight with Macular Degeneration
Guest: Sophie J. Bakri, M.D.
Host: Darryl S. Chutka, M.D. (@ChutkaMD)
Macular degeneration is the most common cause of vision loss in individuals over the age of 50. The loss of central vision from macular degeneration can result in significant lifestyle changes in patients. They may no longer be able to read, write or drive. In this podcast, we’ll discuss macular degeneration with Sophie Bakri, M.D., an ophthalmologist at Mayo Clinic. She’ll review the two types and pathology of macular degeneration, its presentation, risk factors and preventive strategies, and new treatments on the horizon.
- Pathologic changes in macular degeneration
- Vision loss associated with macular degeneration
- Possible causes of macular degeneration
- Risk factors
- Typical course of macular degeneration
- The difference between wet and dry macular degeneration
- Treatment strategies
- Preventive strategies