Nutritional Supplement Edition: Weight Loss and Thermogenic Agents
To claim credit for this episode, visit: Mayo Clinic Talks Podcast: Nutritional Supplement Edition
Guest: Andrew R. Jagim, Ph.D.
Host: Darryl S. Chutka, M.D. (@ChutkaMD)
Are there supplements available that really assist with weight loss? How can you help your patients navigate the market? What is safe and what do they need to look out for? Andrew R. Jagim, Ph.D., the director for Sports Medicine research at the Mayo Clinic, answers these questions in this episode. We discuss the importance of diet and exercise in weight loss and the benefits nutritional supplements may add. We also discuss some of the more common supplements promoted to enhance thermogenesis and weight loss as well as their proposed mechanism of action.
- Popular nutritional supplements for enhancing weight loss
- Accuracy of claims for nutritional supplements
- Importance of diet and exercise in producing significant weight loss
- Potential benefits of a nutritional supplement in addition to exercise and diet in producing significant weight loss
- Common supplements promoted to enhance weight loss