Fact or Fiction: Erectile Dysfunction Treatments
Guest: Tobias S. Kohler, M.D., M.P.H.
Host: Darryl S. Chutka, M.D. (@ChutkaMD)
Erectile dysfunction not only causes lifestyle changes, but it may also be the first symptom of peripheral vascular disease. Since many men are reluctant to mention erectile dysfunction to their healthcare provider, it’s important for us to ask our patients whether it is a problem and be knowledgeable in the appropriate evaluation of patients who have it. This reluctance may cause many to seek out readily available but ineffective treatments from questionable sources, even though there are a variety of proven, effective treatments that can be prescribed. Tobias S. Kohler, M.D., M.P.H., a Mayo Clinic Urologist, joins us to discuss the impact of erectile dysfunction, the currently available effective treatments, as well as the unproven, ineffective products currently being used.
Specific topics discussed:
- The first historical appearance of treatments for erectile dysfunction
- Most common causes of dysfunction
- Appropriate evaluation of patients who present with erectile dysfunction
- Review of the currently available effective treatment options
- Reasons men are reluctant to mention the topic of erectile dysfunction to their provider
- Review of some ineffective treatments currently being promoted