Ethiopians—What’s “brain waste”? (Rahel Schwartz, S1, Ep 1)
Rahel Schwartz was born in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and lived in Kenya and Arkansas before making her way to Seattle in 1994. She’s currently the Program Executive for Health Equity at the YMCA of Greater Seattle and helps design and implement culturally and linguistically tailored chronic disease prevention programs.
In this episode, we talk about
- the history of Ethiopian immigration in Washington,
- the problem of brain waste
- making a traditional Ethiopian diet healthier
- the role of religion in culture
- the complexity of living in a multi-generational household
- gaining trust before providing health education.
- Sign up on Healthcare for Humans website to join our community
- Subscribe and share this episode to help clinicians care for diverse communities better
- Follow Raj on Twitter