S4: #032: Richard Corbridge on Ireland's Transformation of Health and Social Care
Alright, our guest today is Richard Corbridge, he is both the Chief Information Officer for the Health Service Executive in Ireland and he’s the CEO of eHealth Ireland.
Richard has a wealth of experience in the Health and Clinical Research sector leading business change, benefits management and Information security projects. He originally planned to be a school teacher, but after a role as a quality analyst with Perot Systems, he went on to specialize in IT development, procurement and implementation across national and local health care arenas in the UK.
Over the last 15 years, Richard has delivered a wide range of technology in health systems and he’s had some great success, and he also has success with perhaps the most complex systems in healthcare: the people. Richard and I spoke about what can be learned from the UK’s National Program for IT, a program that is largely criticized as a £12billion pound failure but that did provide some key infrastructure and systems to modernize the UK’s health system. We also spoke about clinical engagement, and the role of clinicians – all clinicians, not just doctors – in leading and embracing change.
We also spoke about the lighthouse projects that are underway in Ireland to provide technology solutions for bipolar disease, epilepsy and hemophilia. They have a cool solution using chatbots for mental health that I think you’ll want to hear about.
- Why patients should care about securing their health identity
- How the GS1 Number is being used as a unique identifier for patients across all the EU
- Ireland’s Lighthouse projects in epilepsy, hemophilia and bi-polar disorder.
- How chatbots are being used to manage bi-polar episodes
- How mobile phone technology be used in treating mental health
- What the UK’s National Program for IT delivered and what lessons can be learned from that experience
- How digital transformation is not an IT project, but rather a business change project
- How to engage clinicians in business and tech transformation
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- eHealth Ireland
- Richard on LinkedIn
- Richard on Twitter
- Richard’s blog
- Digital Health Events
- Join Digital Health Today
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices