Ep 4: Treatment, Management and Medications for Alzheimer’s Disease
There’s no cure for Alzheimer’s disease, but there are ways to manage it and treat symptoms. In this episode, we hear from people with Alzheimer’s about the lifestyle changes they’ve adopted to continue leading active, social lives. We also hear from health professionals about non-drug options like therapy. We discuss some of the medications which are currently available, as well as some newer ones that are still being studied.
For even more resources, visit our website at HealthUnmuted.com
What did you think of this episode? We’d love to hear from you.
Please visit healthunmuted.com/feedback to let us know!
Links to information about medication
- Overview of medications for Alzheimer’s disease
- FDA approval for Aducanumab
- About Aducanumab
- About Cholinesterase Inhibitors
Links to information about lifestyle changes
Links to information about therapies
- American Physical Therapy Association
- American Speech Language and Hearing Association
- Total Health Works
- Speech Therapy Works
- Managing eating and swallowing challenges
Links to information about clinical trials:
Links to references about Aducanumab
Links to Patient Support and Advocacy Groups
- Alzheimer’s Speaks
- Alz Authors
- Alzheimer’s Association Local Chapters (US)
- Alzheimer’s Society support groups (UK)
- Dementia Friendly America
Links to Guest’s Books
- Dr Andrew Budson – Seven Steps to Managing Your Memory: What’s Normal, What’s Not and What to Do About It
- Dr Jason Karlawish – The Problem of Alzheimer’s: How Science, Culture, and Politics Turned a Rare Disease into a Crisis and What We Can Do About it
- Anthony Copeland Parker – Running All Over The World: Our Race Against Early-Onset Alzheimer’s
- Paul Hornback – God Still Remembers Me: Devotions for Facing Alzheimer’s Disease with Faith
- Paul Hornback – My Purple Brick Road: A Faithful Battle with Early-onset Alzheimer’s Disease
- Dr Daniel Gibbs – A Tattoo on my Brain: A Neurologist’s Personal Battle against Alzheimer’s Disease
- Dr Phillip Sloane – Alzheimer’s Medical Advisor: A Caregiver’s Guide to Common Medical and Behavioral Signs and Symptoms in Persons with Dementia
A transcript of this episode is available here.
This episode is made possible with support from Altoida.